Indian Society of Weed Science (ISWS) was established in 1968 coinciding with the green revolution in the country. Dr. R.S. Choudhry of Varansi (Uttar Pradesh) was the first president and Dr. M.K. Moolani of Hisar (Haryana) was the first Secretary of the society. The Society started publishing its journal ‘Indian Journal of Weed Science’ from 1969. Initially the Head Quarter of the Society was in Hisar which moved to Bangalore for nearly a decade (1980-1992). The HQ of the society was again shifted to Hisar and remained there till 2005. National Research Centre for Weed Science (now named as Directoratre of Weed Science Research) was established in 1989 at Jabalpur. Subsequently, with the strengthening of NRCWS (DWSR), the HQ of the society was finally shifted at Jabalpur in 2006. The society has been registered under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960 with registration No. SOR/BLU/DR/518/08-09. The official emblem of the society was designed by Dr. Bibhas Ray in 1977, the then Chief Agronomist of Farm Chemical Ltd, New Delhi.>
This logo appeared in Dec 1977 issue of the journal Vol IX No 2, 1977 on page 159. First ISWS Newsletter was also brought out by Dr Ray as Newsletter editor.
- To disseminate knowledge of weed management in its widest perspective.
- To encourage research education and extension in the scientific and practical aspects of weed management.
- To provide suitable forum such as, national & international symposia/seminars to diffuse scientific knowledge among scientists and to facilitate personal contact between members.
- To publish Journals, bulletin reports, books, newsletters, documentary etc. for the advancement of the aims of the society.
- To do and perform all other acts, matters, deeds and things that may assist in conduct to or be necessary for the fulfillment of the above mentioned objections for the purpose of the Society.
- To study long term cumulative residue effects, if any, of herbicides and to standardize bioassay technique for estimating herbicides residue in soil, plant and water system.
- To design and develop weed control tools and implements.